Sunday, June 18, 2023

Father's Day 2022

 This amazing man inspired me to be the best person I could be. His example of discipline, love, empathy, and caring gave me the basis for how I should live my life. I haven't done that perfectly, but who has, and Dad's shoes were big ones to fill.

He was a strong and quiet man but always tried to do the right thing. I'm not sure what brought up the one conversation we had, but Dad told me about defending a Black coworker friend that had shown up one evening to talk and have a beer. 

While they were sitting on the porch, Dad said a KKK member approached and demanded that the Black man go with him (referred to him in the typical KKK way). Dad told the KKK member that his friend was not going with him. The guy got angry and Dad finally picked up a bat and told the guy to get the he** out of there. The KKK guy fled.

Back in the 50s, there could be serious consequences from standing up to a KKK member. Dad did the right thing, and I was surprised I had never heard that story before. But, like I mentioned, he was a quiet man and always tried to do the right thing. I think my respect and love for him grew even a little more after hearing that.

I miss my Dad every day. I am grateful for the example he provided to me and serves me well to this day.
Happy Father's Day in heaven, Dad. I Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment